Rebate Program Description
The Private Security Camera Rebate Program, administered by the Office of Victim Services and Justice Grants (OVSJG), creates a rebate for residents, businesses, nonprofits, and religious institutions to purchase and install security camera systems on their property and register them with the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD). This program is intended to deter crime and assist law enforcement with investigations.
Amount of Rebate
A rebate is available for the actual cost of an individual camera (up to $200) with a maximum rebate of $500 for residential properties (homes, apartments, condominiums, home offices, etc.) and $750 for all other addresses. The rebate is only for the cost of the camera, including sales tax; installation, accessories, and storage are not covered. See below for examples to assist in calculating the appropriate rebate request.
|Example||Description||System Cost||Sales Tax||Rebate Request|
|1||2 camera system||$340.00||$20.40||$360.40|
|2||2 camera system||$400.00||$24.00||$400.00|
|3||2 camera system
a. camera 1
b. camera 2
($159.00 + $200)
|4||2 camera system: cameras = $300 + accessories, storage, and shipping = $50.00||$350.00||$21 ($18 on cameras, $3 on accessories, storage, and shipping)||$318.00 ($300 cameras + $18 tax on cameras)|
|5||4 camera system with 3 of 4 cameras installed||$400.00||$24.00||$318.00
($424 / 4 x 3)
If you have purchased your camera system on an installment plan, submit your application when you have fully paid for the cameras.
Please review the following information and if you have additional questions, please contact the program at [email protected] or 202-727-5124.
- Applicants must be an owner or tenant of a property that is used as a residence, business, nonprofit, or religious institution located in the District of Columbia.
- Applicants who are tenants must provide documentation from the property owner approving the installation of the security camera system on the property.
- The camera system must have been purchased and installed on the property after September 22, 2015 and before all available funds are expended.
- The camera system must be registered with the Metropolitan Police Department (please only submit one registration per application).
- Security camera systems must be installed on the exterior of a building.
- Installation of cameras will be verified (see application for complete details).
- Some systems require the purchase of cloud-based storage plans. The cost of these plans is not reimbursable and you are required to provide proof of purchase of additional storage if your system requires it.
- All cameras must be outdoor, weather proof cameras. We strongly recommend purchasing a camera that is designed for the outdoors as opposed to modifying one designed for indoor use.
- Only one security camera system per property address is eligible.
- Security camera systems shall meet minimum technical and video quality specifications below and must retain video footage for at least forty-eight (48) hours.
|Camera Resolution||1 Megapixel||3 Megapixel|
|Frames per Second||5||15|
|Frames per Second||5||15|
By participating in this program, the Applicant acknowledges that he or she will not use the security camera for any unlawful or harassing purposes and will comply with all applicable building and electrical code requirements.
To apply for a rebate complete the following three steps.
Step 1: Purchase and install the camera(s) on the exterior of your property.
Step 2: Register your camera system with MPD at http://mpdc.dc.gov/securitycameraregistration/. After completing this form you will receive an e-mail confirmation from the email address [email protected] that will include a log number. Please save this email as you will need to submit it as part of your rebate application. Check your junk mail or spam folder if you do not receive this email in your inbox. Contact us at [email protected] if you haven’t received the confirmation e-mail within four hours of submitting your registration. After submitting your registration, you must proceed to Step 3 and complete the rebate application.
Step 3: Complete the Private Security Camera Rebate Program Application.
Do not submit your application until the cameras are installed on the property and registered with the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD). You must answer all questions in the application and provide proof of purchase of cameras that details the number and cost of cameras purchased, and demonstrates payment made.
Upon submission of a complete application, you will receive an e-mail from Zoomgrants.com acknowledging successful submission of the application.
Note: It may take up to 45 working days to issue your rebate provided your application is complete and approved.